Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Ch 14 – Results

Original post 6/16/08

I had a PET scan May 6th. My follow-up appointment to discuss the results was scheduled for Wednesday, May 14th. I had blood drawn that day, but my appointment had to be rescheduled because Dr. Patel was called away from the office for an emergency consultation at the hospital & was unable to return in time for my appointment.

Ed asked the nurse if she would have Dr. Patel call us before we left for our 2-week vacation, Saturday morning, to give us a general overview of the PET scan results, so we won’t have to wait for 2 more weeks to know if things are better or worse. She assured us she would have him call about the PET scan, but it would be 2 days before the lab would have the results of the tumor marker from the blood test.

Dr. Patel called Thursday morning & reached Ed. His description of the PET scan results characterized the cancer as stable, but one statement gave me hope that it showed some improvement. As Ed recounted the conversation with Dr. Patel, I asked a follow-up question when he reached this point, but Ed said he did not ask my question. Ed was very encouraged by the fact the cancer is stable. Although I am glad it is stable, I really wanted to hear that there is some improvement. Because this information is incomplete, we decided to wait until we have complete information to report before we place a statement on the website.

After a very relaxing 2-week vacation, we met with Dr. Patel June 2nd. We got a more complete picture – the PET scan & results of the May 14th blood test. Dr. Patel went over the PET scan & repeated that it shows that the cancer is stable.

His tone changed when he moved to the tumor marker, CA 27.29, in the blood test. It seemed as if there should have been a drum roll playing in the background as he did this. He pulled the bottom of the page, with the recorded list of numbers on it, up to cover all but the 1st number. The tumor marker 12/10/07 was 211. He then revealed the next 2, one at a time. 1/30/08 it rose to 580.7; 2/27/08 it dropped to 389.7. Then he asked us what we thought it was 5/14/08.
He looked at me for a response. I said, “In the 300’s?
Dr. Patel said, “No, but the patient’s spouse usually gets it right” & looked at Ed for his answer.
He said, “I hope it is back to the 200’s, where we started.”
Dr. Patel indicated that he was still too high.
I said, “In the 100’s?”
He then revealed the number – 126.7!! Obviously, Dr. Patel was quite impressed & very excited about these results. He said, “Whatever you are doing, keep doing it because it’s working!

I told him that I worked hard to make a difference. When I explained that I am eating differently – basically fruits, vegetables & meat – & exercising regularly – 6 miles per week on the elliptical – he mentioned that he noticed that I lost a lot of weight & looked at my chart to see how much. I explained that I’m not eating sugar because cancer is a “sugar feeder.” (It seems Dr. Patel hasn’t read the material I’ve read or studied what Dr. Powers has studied.) He commented that everything we eat ultimately turns to glucose in order for our cells to metabolize it. His reaction makes me realize just how much I wish all doctors were required to take courses in medical school on nutrition & supplements & their role in preventing disease, maintaining good health & supporting a healthy immune system.

I couldn’t think fast enough to respond to Dr. Patel’s comment. Later I thought I should have said something about the fact that sugar provides empty calories that feed cancer cells, but it has no nutritional value to feed healthy cells.

He said that I was obviously healthy, & he was impressed by my 6 miles per week on the elliptical. However, he does not want me to lose any more weight. I assured him that it is not my intent to lose more weight.

I was still curious about the tumor marker. I asked, “Is zero considered normal or the goal for the CA 27.29 tumor marker?

Dr. Patel explained, “Everyone with breast tissue, male or female, has a number.” The exact number for a female without breast cancer is about 38, but anything below 40 is considered normal.

He then explained that I will have a blood test every 6 weeks to check the tumor marker number. It will be a while before I have another PET scan. The PET scan is a gross look at the disease & my response to treatment, whereas the tumor marker, once it can be established as reliable, is a microscopic indicator of my response to treatment.

My tumor marker has established a definite pattern. It was rising prior to treatment & effectiveness of the hormone treatment. I started hormone treatment at the end of December, & it takes 1 month for it to be fully effective (until the end of January). Until that time, my CA 27.29 was rising. Since that time, it has responded to the hormone treatment, & it has declined. Thus, the tumor marker can be regarded as reliable for the doctors to judge my response to hormone treatment.

Dr. Patel said he is looking for my tumor marker to stabilize. He said it may stabilize at 126 or it may go lower. At one point, he said it might have stabilized in the 300 range. The goal with stage IV metastatic cancer is not to cure it; it can only be stabilized. I know, from what I have read, medically, the hormone treatment is not viewed as a cure for stage IV cancer; it is viewed as a means of stabilizing cancer in this stage.

At the same time, I know God has promised to heal me from the top of my head to the soles of my feet, & I know God does not lie. I will be patient until God’s appointed time. As I wait, I am expecting to see results from the combination of our faith in the power of prayer combined with the results of the hormone therapy, my diet, supplements, & exercising to begin to overtake the cancer – killing cancer cells faster than the rate at which they are multiplying – & make improvements so that I will have a future PET scan that shows some tumors have decreased in size.

June 4th we met with Dr. Powers to deliver the results of the PET scan & blood test to him. He is also pleased with the results. When he read the PET scan, he did mention the fact that the numbers used to indicate the levels of activity in the tumors are low, & they are lower than my previous 2 scans. This is verification I was looking for that there is actually improvement shown on the PET scan. He is also pleased with the big decrease in the tumor marker number.

Dr. Powers indicated that it is not possible to tell what factor or factors contributed most to the positive results; therefore, he agreed that I should continue what I have been doing.
He also noticed my considerable weight loss & asked how much I’ve lost.
I told him I’ve lost 30 pounds, but I do not want to lose any more weight. To try to avoid any further weight loss, I have found that I need to add something from the grain family, usually at breakfast, sometimes at another meal, to maintain my weight. (This is the 1st time in my life I have worked to keep weight on; it is really weird!)
Dr. Powers asked what else I eat for breakfast.
I told him I usually have Activia lite & fruit juice with protein powder.
He said that the glycemic index of grains is so high I shouldn’t have them unless I eat them with something that is high in protein. He approves of my choices.

I’m satisfied! We compromised. Dr. Powers knows I won’t choose simple, processed grains. Instead of a diet of no grains, I can now have some grains if I also have a good amount of protein with them. I can live with that.

I am trusting God for good results when I have my next blood test for the CA 27.29 tumor marker. I will continue to do my part by trusting God, exercising & following my diet.

It’s both humbling & awesome when I realize there are a great number of people who pray for me regularly; in fact, it’s impossible for me to guess how many. I can’t thank you enough for all your prayers on my behalf! I’m asking God to bless you for your faithfulness; I trust He will meet the needs of your life.

No comments: